Friday, January 28, 2011

Baked Eggs with Ham and Mushrooms

I'm putting this post up early in the hopes of catching people before breakfast!  
I've been experimenting with baked eggs ever since Jennifer from Odette New York made some for us the last time she came to stay.  I made this yummy version of the fun and versatile egg dish for myself the other day, and it was an easy and delicious change from the everyday breakfast.  And it is easy to make for a group, or for just yourself!
So here's how you do it.
Preheat your oven to 400. (I used my toaster oven to be more efficient, since I was making only one) The dice up a mushroom and a little ham if you have it, and saute it in a little butter until it is cooked, about 3 minutes.  Put your sauteed ingredients in the bottom of a small ramekin or other oven proof dish. Crack an egg into the ramekin, making sure the yolk doesn't break.  Top with a drizzle of cream and some grated parmesan.  Pop it in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the white is set.  (warning, these are very easy to overcook!  The last part of the cooking goes really fast once the egg get's close to done, so keep an eye on it!)   Serve with a few buttered toast points for dipping.


3 comments: