Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Put an Egg on it

This is my new favorite kitchen sink style spring meal.  I call it a kitchen sink meal because you can really make it with almost any vegetables you happen to have in your fridge.  I adapted it from a Momofuku recipe I found on chow.com for roasted asparagus with miso butter with a poached egg on top.  The miso butter, poached egg combo is pretty amazing, and it is a great foil to some slightly bitter greens.  In the photos above it is made with roasted baby bok choy, broccoli, and scallions.  I also added a little sticky rice on the side to stir in, which bulks it up to a hearty and healthy main course.  I use the same basic cooking times as the Momofuku recipe, so click here to see how to make it yourself.  I highly recommend adding some scallion halves (cut lengthwise).  I have also made it with asparagus and fiddleheads, but that season is mostly past.  But I plan to keep adapting this through the summer with whatever is coming out of the garden.

p.s. My friend Holly told me that putting a poached egg on things is all the rage now in New York restaurants, so I am quietly patting myself on the back over here for managing to be so on-trend out here in the boonies!

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, and the photography is beautiful! I'm off to put an egg on top of my yogurt and fruit for lunch to be on-trend LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious! I've never made poached eggs, I am afraid I'll make a big mess. But after seeing this plate of yummy-ness I think I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look a little messy in the pot, but they still taste great. Make sure you add a little white vinegar to the water, and don't let it boil furiously. smittenkitchen has a good how-to on it.

      Delete